June 23, 2016
In today’s episode, I answer Marian’s question which he emailed from Slovakia.
Proprietary deals are those, to which you get to first. It is the opposite of a non-proprietary deal, which is being shopped by an intermediary who wants to turn you into a commodity so that you have to compete with price.
Marian works at a buy-and-hold private investment company and wants to get deals where he can build a bilateral relationship with business owners. Bilateral is good. Relationship is better still. How can he do it?
This is a big topic, but in today’s episode, I describe my 8-step process to build a proprietary deal flow.
- Articulate the types of deal (Size, Situation, Sector)
- Buy and research a list
- Craft your story and message
- Get your story out
- Become a thought leader and serve your target market
- Network with intermediaries serving your market
- Reverse engineer the desired results
- Turn reaching out into a habit
Yes, it involves planning, process and persistence. But it works. It is the exact process (plus social media) that allowed me to build a market-leading investment bank.
Question of the Day: How do you generate dealflow?
Your Succession is Success!